Well the pacie fairy has finally made a visit to the Nodine house. Dawson was using his pacies for bedtime and anytime mama needed a break (which I guess was often?). His sleep schedule has been messed up for two weeks or so due to a cold and molars so I decided it was now or never to give up the pacie. I tried to prepare him ahead of time with phone calls from the fairie. Courtesy of Liana our "Aunt-in-law" and a calendar where he could mark down the days. Friday night we collected pacies from Re-Re's house and went around our own house to collect any pacie's we could find. After a last suck on our favorite pacie.
We proceeded to tape up the box and place it in the garage. As we were doing it I realized my sweet 2 year old had no idea what was going on. We proceeded to bed as normal and he nicely asked for 'mouth'. I reminded him that we put them out for the fairie but he could have cared less. We left him screaming and amazingly after 15 minutes he was out. The next morning he woke up at 3 screaming for his mouth and at 4 I finally decided to go upstairs and see what I could do. He decided he needed breakfast and of course after that we would watch a video where I would concede and give him his mouth. Much to his dismay that did not happen nor did he think/care about the box or the visit from the farie. Even after I had been out there the night before putting his presents (one for each pacie) into the box and making a 'fairie trail' with glitter (which Alisha very much appreciated the next day!) Only after his attempt to find his own mouth did he remember about the box. He ran outside and saw all the presents which kept him occupied for about 15 minutes since 2 of his presents did not even work even after dad went to al-mart for batteries at 6 am.
He did okay the rest of the morning until nap time and he was absolutely not having a nap without his mouth. After about an hour and a half of useless warnings about napping we let him come downstairs and play with his visiting cousins. Then we went to Brittney's birthday party (see later post). He had a meltdown after the party and finally fell asleep in the car on the way home. Of course 5 minutes before we got home he woke up and just wanted his mouth. After a 30 minute melt down (him and me) we came downstairs and watched Diego. It was amazing that mama couldn't calm him down, but Diego could. After the show we went back upstairs and he fell fast asleep with no tears! As of today (Sunday afternoon) there was a 45 minute nap and only 3 requests for mouth. This process was definitely necessary but as Jason will tell you, I am having a harder time with it than Dawson. Just another step of growing up which is great except when you just want to hold them in your arms and let them be a baby for a little while longer!
1 comment:
I'm a horrible friend - I could have sworn that I included you in the text announcing Mason's birth, dang it. Well, anyway - We had a baby! I had to share the pacie story with my family - who is always asking how you guys are doing. You are such a good mom. I know that I could learn a lot from you.
Post a Comment